Come skate with us, you know you want to.
Here's a big ol' ton of info on how to become a Fresh Meat skater. Mostly you just have to show up. Seriously. Just show up at practice and we'll get you started. (But read this first so you know all the things.)
After reading this page, if you still have questions just scroll down and send us a message. We'll get back to you with all kinds of helpful info, a heavy dose of encouragement, and any answers you might seek.
Fresh Meat Training
We have an amazing fresh meat coach who has been through the program and knows her stuff. She is talented, nurturing, and patient. We offer a 2 month intensive boot camp for our new skaters. Fresh Meat "boot camp" happens twice a year (we will post far in advance on our Facebook page) but you are welcome to come to any of our practices anytime! Just send us a message to make sure we are having practice. Practices are held twice a week. Sound interesting? Keep reading.
Why become a Snake Pit Derby Dame? -- We are a fun, friendly, hard-hitting, adrenaline loving group of roller girls, refs, and volunteers. There's nothing quite like the companionship and excitement one gets from being a part of this league, not to mention the stellar booty workout! We welcome all newcomers (and derby veterans!) who have the desire and drive to go Derby-- whether for fun, fitness, or competition; we want you! No experience required. Experience is awesome, but totally not necessary to get started. Lots of our girls started out barely being able to skate, so don't be discouraged if you haven't been on 8 wheels in a while, or ever. We teach basic skating skills at our practices for those who need it.
Who can join? -- Any female 18 yrs or older! (Guys, you can skate with us too, as referees! Contact us for details!) We welcome all women of all backgrounds, any shape, size or age. Roller derby is for everyone. Not interested in skating but still want to be involved? Click here for info on volunteering.
What to Expect. -- First and foremost, expect to have a super fun time! Our girls are kind and supportive, and we LOVE our rookies. Also, expect to sweat! Roller Derby is a wicked gnarly workout! (But don't worry, you can work at your own pace -- no pressure.) And finally, don't expect to hit or get hit by other skaters right away; the aggressive stuff comes later.
Fresh Meat boot camps happen twice a year and we will post about it on this website and on our Facebook page. Boot camps are about 2 months long, and are broken up into Phase 1 (basic skating/basic derby skills) and Phase 2 (intermediate/advanced derby skills). Once you graduate out of Fresh Meat, you can begin scrimmaging and working towards getting rostered for a bout. In order to sign up for boot camp, all you have to do is show up. Seriously. Just walk in and say, "Hey, I wanna skate." and we'll get you started. Or you can message us on Facebook or email us from this site in the Contact Us tab.
- You can sit and watch for your 1st time, but we encourage all to join in right away, it's more fun that way!
- Your 1st practice is free. If you don't have skates you can rent some for FREE from the roller rink.
- Protective gear is required, and we have some you can borrow.* (see below for details)
- Bring a water bottle or sports drink, you'll need it!
- You should wear athletic clothes or you can dress "derby" if you want! -- but jeans won't cut it. We recommend shorts/capris/leggings under shorts or skirt with a tank top, or whatever flexible, breathable sportsing outfit you prefer.
- Bring a good attitude & be ready to push yourself and work hard. Oh, and wear deodorant... trust me.
- We have lots of fun and we're all friends, but remember, this is a sport, and we do take it very seriously (when we're not goofing off).
What do you need? -- You need to have a good attitude, and be willing work hard and try your best on the derby track. You will also need some protective gear to keep yourself safe from injury.
What does is cost? -- Well, we wish derby were free, but we are a non-profit and it costs moolah to run the league and pay for our practice space. Fresh Meat boot camp is pretty cheap though, only $25 for each month that you are in camp!
* Protective gear -- We have a limited supply of gear for our Fresh Meat to borrow. Most of our rookies use it when they first start out. If you'd like to use it, you should show up early to get first dibs. Please bring any gear you have, (a bicycle helmet is way better than no helmet at all.) Also, we recommend picking up a mouth guard before practice; they're really cheap and you can find them at any sports store or Walmart. If you don't have a mouth guard, you'll be limited on the number of activities you can participate in. If you're interested in buying your own gear, we can guide you on how to find the best gear for the best prices. You can also go shopping at 2nd hand stores to get some killer deals on used stuff.
Whether you have your own gear, plan to buy some, or intend on borrowing ours, here is a check list of what you'll need to wear at practice:
- Quad skates
- A good helmet
- Knee pads
- Elbow pads
- Wrist guards
- Mouth guard
Where do you go? -- Our practices are held at Skate Plaza Roller Rink, located in Coeurd'Alene, Idaho off of Hwy 95. Some practices will be held outdoors in the spring and summer, and days and times are subject to change. Please take a look at our practice schedule to see current practice days and times.
Please note that we currently do not have a Junior league, but you can check out the local female junior league, The Pixies, and the local Co-Ed junior team, Cherry Bomb Brawlers. Email us for more info.
Skate Plaza Roller Rink
5685 North Pioneer Dr
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
5685 North Pioneer Dr
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho